Dr’s instructions

I know I made light of the spider bite in my last blog but I really didn’t realise how bad it was and I realise how lucky I was to get all those runs in whilst in Knysna last week. I have had to stay away from all exercise all week due to the bite and some other ailments (just to add insult to injury)

Even if I wanted to disobey the Drs orders, the hectic antibiotics that I was given would not have allowed for it. I didn’t actually realise till today how hectically they affected my body, nevermind the revolting spider bite.

So I now have a somewhat healing crater and am on the mend but I think a lot of runners can relate to the frustration of not being able to do what you love for a prolonged period.

I experienced this first hand last year when I decided to try this rock climbing thing that my coach Fred was so into. Fellow Bubbly Sofi and I rocked up at the awesome City Rock and gave it a bash. We started on the bouldering walls and Sofi, with her tiny frame, was clambering up with ease making it look so easy. I tried it a few times and then made it to the top on a very easy climb but upon grasping for the final block at the top, I slipped and fell. But that’s ok, when you land properly and not try a Olympic gymnast landing when you aren’t an Olympic gymnast. Needless to say it ended badly and I ended up with an avulsion fracture and a torn ligament in my right ankle.

I was out from the 20th of September 2017 to December 2017. I thought the forced rest was going to be torture as I have experienced frustrated runners who are injured and it wasn’t pretty. I surprised myself however. I made sure I stayed active with all my running buddies and joined them at races and played the supporter which I think I do better than running to be honest. I also went to gym and did upper body exercises with Helen so it wasn’t a complete loss. The actual injury didn’t get to me, it was the crutches. I wouldn’t wish them on my worst enemy. I hated them even more when I somehow managed to knock my baby toe on my good foot on the crutches one morning and broke it. When I went for my ankle check up at the Dr they were not convinced it was broken but we did an x-ray just to be safe and she was rather shocked. I nearly got the moonboot transferred from one foot to the other. Luckily sanity prevailed and the orthopaedic surgeon said it just needed to be strapped. The broken toe was so much more sore than the ankle. I think it’s safe to say that when I do things I do them properly!

I must say the way back from injury has been much harder than the actual rest period. I still don’t have full mobility in my ankle and have been so frustrated with my running since returning properly in January. It just doesn’t seem to be getting anywhere. Seeing small improvements but I still get so jealous seeing others around me doing so well and running so fast. But I don’t let it get me down and just keep trying and enjoying it.

So rest isn’t all bad but I can’t wait to get out for a run today….

2 thoughts on “Dr’s instructions

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s